PHANTOM marked a major turning point in the influential career and the groundbreaking style of cinema poet F.W. Murnau. This beautifully reconstructed and restored edition, from an original 1922 negative, features a new orchestral score by Robert Israel. This powerfully expressive and surprisingly insightful film is a triumph of German Weimar cinema and a wonderful collaboration of many of its most skilled artisans (screenwriter Thea von Harbou – M, METROPOLIS; production designer Hermann Warm - CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI, VAMPYR) and recognizable performers.
Alfred Abel (METROPOLIS, DR. MABUSE) plays Lorenz Lubota, a man obsessed with his own desires to achieve fame and wealth, who must confront the barriers of class keeping him from a woman (CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI’s Lya de Putti) with whom he has had a fateful encounter. PHANTOM paints a portrait of the corrupting influence of money, the pressures of social conformity, and the redemptive power of family.
This DVD Deluxe Edition also features:
- A new, English language edition of the film, from the original original negative, prepared in collaboration with the Friedrich-Wilhelm-Murnau-Foundation.
- A new NTSC film transfer, meticulously restored with original tints.
- Digitally recorded orchestral score by the renowned silent film composer Robert Israel.
- INVITATION TO PHANTOM – A newly-researched examination of the production history and artistry of PHANTOM by UCLA film historian Janet Bergstrom.
- The Colors of Phantom – Film restoration experts Luciano Berriatúa and Camille Blot-Wellens discuss their process for color tint identification and restoration in a 12-page booklet essay.
- Cast and Crew Biographies – Over 80 pages of biographical information and unique photographs of the major performers and technicians involved with the film.
- Special Documents Gallery – A unique image gallery containing many rare and never-before-seen historical documents.
“Here is one very happy marriage of 20th-century art and 21st-century technology.”
– Dave Kehr, The New York Times
2008 CINEFEST WILLY HAAS AWARD
Format: DVD-NTSC / Region 1
Director: F.W. Murnau
Producer: Erich Pommer
Screenplay: Thea von Harbou and Hans Heinrich von Twardowski, based on the novel by Gerhart Hauptmann
Cinematography: Axel Graatkjaer & Theophan Ouchakoff
Production Design: Hermann Warm
Production Company: Uco-Film, a division of Decla-Bioscop, Germany
Cast: Wilhelm Diegelmann, Anton Edthofer, Aud Egede Nissen, Olga Engl, Karl Etlinger, Ilka Grüning, Adolf Klein, Frida Richard, Hans Heinrich von Twardowski & Heinrich Witte
• 120 minutes
• B&W, Tinted
INVITATION TO PHANTOM
• 15 minutes
Total Running Time: 02:15:00
Language: English intertitles
Musical Score: Arranged and performed by Robert Israel
Booklet Text: Debra Lyan Christie
Published By: Flicker Alley
Institutional Price: $250 (plus shipping)
To order call: 212.280.8654 or click here for information on ordering by fax, e-mail or post.